In a recent survey by CareerBuilder.com, workers and managers were asked about the reasons offered by employees who arrived late their job. We reported earlier in the week about the standard excuses for tardiness, including traffic and oversleeping. But what is really interesting are the not-so-standard excuses.
The 2008 Late to Work Survey gives the 10 most unusual excuses employees gave for arriving late to work. In comparison, I bet your excuses are pretty darn boring. Maybe these employees should be given at least some credit for their creativity. And, for the record, I can personally attest to the veracity of Excuse #8, which actually has caused me to be late for a relative’s birthday party recently.
1. While rowing across the river to work, I got lost in the fog.
2. Someone stole all my daffodils.
3. I had to go audition for American Idol.
4. My ex-husband stole my car so I couldn’t drive to work.
5. My route to work was shut down by a Presidential motorcade.
6. I wasn’t thinking and accidentally went to my old job.
7. I was indicted for securities fraud this morning.
8. The line was too long at Starbucks.
9. I was trying to get my gun back from the police.
I didn’t have money for gas because all of the pawn shops were closed.